Versión electrónica ISSN 0718 - 1566
Versión impresa ISSN 0716 - 1921

  Abstract
Housing Socioeconomic Stratification through Geomatic
Technologies. Case study: County of Retiro, Maule Region,
Chile
For planning actions of social policy and land-use, a critical aspect is to identify population groups that are in conditions of poverty, lack or social vulnerability in order to guide and support the planning actions efficiently. This research shows the spatial distribution of households in a situation of shortage in the County of Retiro, Maule Region, Chile, using as an information base that one extracted from the Housing Digital Cadastre (Mena et al., 2005) considering the house as the minimum unit of spatial representation. From this information and according to the estimations of unsatisfied basic needs (NBI), the houses were classified into 5 Shortage Stratums. The results indicate that 66.8% of housing is a «not poor» population (grouping the stratums of “Non Shortage” and «Low Shortage»). The remaining 33.2% corresponds to the «poor» population, including in this classification the stratums of “Regular Shortage”, “High Shortage” and “Critical Shortage”.